Thursday, September 8, 2011

I Don't Really Know What I've Gotten Myself Into, But It Looks Fun!

So I promised a post about Venice sometime soon, and this one is set in Dogtown, through and through.

Recently, I decided to set some personal goals for myself. The first one was to get involved in some kind of community service, and the second one was to more seriously pursue creative activities.

Well, I've managed to get started on the first one, and next week I'll start tutoring high schoolers at a juvenile detention facility (yikes), but more on that later.

I was a little bit at a loss for where to begin on my second goal though, so it was fate when I got invited to the Venice Art Crawl a few weeks ago. The VAC is a monthly art show that is put on by a collection of businesses, restaurants, and galleries in Venice to show case local artists, musicians, poets and other creatives. The Venice Art Crawl has only been around for a year, but it is a fantastic monthly event, and it really brings the Venice community together. As you can see from the pictures below, I had a blast, and decided that this might be a great avenue to get involved in the art scene.







So after a little research on the magical interwebs, I found a potluck/ mixer for the Venice Art Crawl planning committee.

So last night, armed with a home made bruschetta and a bottle of wine, I timidly made my way to a swanky little rooftop in Venice, where I met lots of nice people, drank several glasses of wine, and in under 2 hours, secured a spot in this month's Venice Art Crawl.

That's right, I'm showing in an Art Crawl, next Thursday. My head is still spinning. I think that the people at the mixer must have really liked the bruschetta, or the spinach dip that my friend  Lauren brought, because they didn't even ask to me see my paintings, and offered me a gallery space on the spot.

The best part is, the swanky little rooftop where the mixer was, is actually where I get to show my paintings, along with two other artists next week. So here's it comes, my shameless self-promotion, because this is in fact, my blog.

Please, please come to my show. It would mean the world to me. In case that's not enough, here are some other good reasons:

1. My show is at Venice Breeze Suites, which is a vacation rental property. It's beautiful. The sunset view from this rooftop is to die for.

2. There will be lots of other good artists there, and art is good for the soul. Plus, people will be impressed when you tell them you are "a patron of the arts."

3. I promised the property manager I'd make bruschetta again. You can have some too.

4. It's free. You aren't going to find anything else more fun AND free to do next Thursday night.

5. I'll probably throw in some wine. Trust me,  it'll help you better appreciate the art.

6. You read my blog, and therefore, I assume you kind of love me, and you'll (hopefully) like my work.


Okay, I'll stop the list and just give you the details. Hope to see you next week!

xo, Beach City Girl



P.S. for more information  (and pictures!) about the VAC, check out these links: http://www.veniceartcrawl.com/  and  http://www.venicepaparazzi.com/

1 comment:

  1. so exciting janae! your bravery inspires me. i'll see you next thursday :)

    ReplyDelete