Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Hometown Safari

I'm beginning to forget what the inside of my apartment looks like. In the past 10 work days, I've been on set for 6 of them, and slept in my own bed for 3. It's been a grueling and tiring couple of weeks, but rather successful in terms of booking television shows at work. Nevertheless, I've had to fight the urge to fall asleep standing up, and I've been essentially living out of a suitcase.

So naturally, on my first free weekend in a while, I decided to go out of town. In any other context, this would make no sense whatsoever and I'd have a serious date with my bed, and a dozen DVD's, but I went to visit my family on Sunday and Monday, and traded one beach city for another with a trip to Santa Barbara.

I found out not too long ago that my parents are probably moving to Camarillo, and I got especially sentimental about Santa Barbara while I was home. Growing up as a military brat, I never had a hometown or a childhood home to go back to, so when we moved to SB almost 10 years ago, I finally let myself put down roots. I made friends (many of whom have since moved), I found my local hangouts, and secret spots. I got attached. This trip home was bittersweet, but I tried to make the most of it, and decided to do a little photo-safari of my hometown. It's amazing the things you get so used to seeing when you live in a place for a while. Even so, it truly is one of the most beautiful, and unique places in the world. The pictures speak for themselves.

On that note, if anyone wants to do a trip to Santa Barbara in the next month or two, call me! There's nothing I like more than showing people my adopted hometown. It's a lot like Venice's milder, more mature, conservative sister. But Santa Barbara knows how to party. I mean, I'm a beach city girl, so I should know.

1. The Santa Barbara Wharf
2.Tunics at the Indian Market

3. The grand old Granada Theater  
4. Flamenco dancers for SB Old Spanish Days


5. Antique shop treasures
6. Happiness is a double-letter score
7. Downtown culture in La Arcada
8. Lower State murals
9. Shops on State
10. Get some sun.

11. Happy Home.

1 comment: